Coaches, Parents and Boosters, Please send scores and information to HVDailySportsDigest@gmail.com immediately following every game.
The Top Spot:
The Port Chester baseball team lost to Yonkers at home yesterday 6-0. Yonkers pitcher Kyler Bryant went seven innings and struck out nine in the win and Alex Gallinari was 2-3 from the plate with a double, two runs and RBI.
Danny Wilson had two his for the Rams in the loss.
In baseball, Fox Lane heads to Port Chester at 4:30 p.m.
In softball, Port Chester heads to Valhalla at 4:30 p.m.
College Sports Notebook:
Manhattan College seniors Chrissy Gutenberger and Elizabeth Dugan, both of Stony Point, and Breana Leonard of Bay Shore were each named to the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference second team in women’s lacrosse.
Gutenberger, an alumna of North Rockland HS, received the distinction for the third time in her illustrious career. The senior was named Rookie of the Year and all-MAAC first team as a freshman before being placed on the all-MAAC second team as a sophomore.
Gutenberger leaves the Manhattan program as the second all-time leading scorer with 196 points, leading the Jaspers in scoring all four seasons.
Dugan, a transfer from Rockland Community College after being graduated from North Rockland HS, earned postseason accolades for the second consecutive season. After placing on the all-MAAC second team last year, she again became a leader for the Jaspers in the midfield as one of the top performers corralling groundballs.
Leonard, a stalwart defender, receives her first conference honor in the final season of her career.
- The Manhattan College softball team concludes the non-conference portion of its schedule today with a 3 p.m. doubleheader in Riverdale against Wager College. The Jaspers (8-33, 3-9 MAAC) split a doubleheader against MAAC rival Marist (26-21, 8-4) in Poughkeepsie, winning the opener 4-2, and then dropping the second game, 4-3. Junior Amanda Babcock of Haverstraw went 3 for 7 with one RBI in the twin-bill, lifting her average to .272, second-best on the team.
- Dominican College basketball standouts Johnathan Brown, a sophomore from Central Islip, and senior Michael Calzonetti of Gloucester, NJ, were named to the Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) all-Academic Team. The Chargers went 19-9 overall and 11-7 in the CACC under veteran coach Joe Clinton of Pearl River.
- The Dominican College softball team opens play in the NCAA Division II Tournament on Friday at No. 3 seed C.W. Post. Sixth-seeded Dominican boasts an overall record of 37-15 and captured the Central Atlantic Athletic Conference tournament title with a 4-0 mark.
- The Pace University baseball team, coming off a split with Le Moyne College, travels to West Haven, CT, today for a Northeast-10 Southwest Division game against the University of New Haven at 3:30 p.m. Yonkers resident Eddie Byrne, an alum of Archbishop Stepinac HS, earned his fifth save as the Setters won the opener against Le Moyne, 3-1. Joe Lombardi of Briarcliff went 2 for 3 in the second game, won by Le Moyne, 6-1.
- The Monroe Mustangs won there first ever outdoor track NJCAAA Eastern District Championship. The Mustangs finished with 171 points, eleven more then host Essex County College who finished second.
- The Manhattanville Valiants finished up their up regular season with a double header split with Baruch College at Manhattanville. The Valiants won the first game 2-1 but fell in the second 4-0.
- Purchase College’s duo of Brenden Keeling and Jeremyah Schur were both named to the All-Skyline Conference First Team. Schur, a freshmen was named the conference’s Co-Rookie of the Year with NYU-Poly’s Tommy Inouye.
Weekly Sports Poll:
This week’s sports poll asks After yesterday’s 3-2 loss to the Capitals, the Rangers lost home field advantage and will head to Washington tonight with the series tied 1-1.
The Daily Sports Digest is Patch’s way of increasing reader involvement in sports coverage. We would like to provide you with for you to add your best photos and/or videos to share. If you see anything in our high school scores, standings or schedule that requires updating, please e-mail Mark Rinaldi directly at HVDailySportsDigest@gmail.com or like us on Facebook and post updates on our wall. Marc Maturo covers college athletics across the nation. Please send updates of your local schools or players to firstname.lastname@example.org.