Didn't catch last month's presentation on the school budget? You're not alone.
The community forum was held a week before Christmas, while kids were prepping for winter break and families were making last-minute preparations for the holidays.
School leaders say they couldn't help the timing: With the district facing a budget gap of up to $4 million, there's a limited window of time to lobby Albany for more state aid and a possible tax cap work-around.
"We have until mid-January to influence Albany," reads a dire warning on the district's website.
If you're just beginning to catch up on the budget situation, here are some resources to bring you up to speed:
- School Leaders: 'Flood' State Reps With Letters Or Face Painful Budget Cuts (Port Chester Patch, Dec. 21)
- District Says Kindergarten Classes, Music Programs and Athletics Could Be On Chopping Block (Port Chester Patch, Dec. 21)
- District Presentation on the NYS Property Tax Cap and School Budget (PDF file of the presentation by Superintendent Edward Kliszus and Assistant Superintendent Maura McAward)
- Video: New York State Property Tax Cap Forum (A 45-minute on-demand video stream of last month's forum)
- Tax Cap Q&A and sample letters to state representatives
Resources in Spanish:
- Presentado - Limite del Impuesto Inmobiliario del NY y el Presupuesto 2012-2013
- Sample letters to state officials: 1, 2, 3 en espanol
Follow Port Chester Patch!