is paying very close attention to the weather forecast for Saturday in Port Chester.
Krakowski, recreation Leader for the Port Chester Recreation Department, is hoping Mother Nature will cooperate for the celebration at . A year ago, Mother Nature was at her worst.
This weekend marks the one year anniversary of , the storm that hammered our area with fierce winds and rain, causing extensive flooding, damage to trees, power lines and homes and leaving thousands without power for days.
Krakowski, who orchestrates the big community party, recalled that she thought the rains would never stop last summer. When Port Chester Day was finally rescheduled, it had to be moved again — from Saturday to Sunday — because rains made Lyon Park too wet.
Although memories of Hurricane Irene linger, Krakowski is hoping a good turn out at this Saturday's Port Chester Day will more than compensate for the delays and problems that were created by the weather last year.
"Port Chester Day is a good kick off for the new school year, and it's a last hurrah for the summer," Krakowski said as she was busy with last-minute preparations for the party.
Here's what's happening on Saturday:
- Port Chester Day runs from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. at Lyon Park, Putnam Avenue and King Street.
- The day features craft vendors, foods, free rides and activities for children and lots of entertainment — including local performers.
- Kicking off the entertainment, Gabriella Buccieri will sing the National Anthem at 11:45 a.m.
- Childrens rides and activities run from noon to 5 p.m.
- There's an Open House at the from 1 to 3 p.m.
- The has hands-on clay activities for kids and adults from noon to 5 p.m.
- From noon to 1 p.m. the New Life Choir of St. Frances AME Zion Church will perform.
- From 1:30 to 2:30 p.m., the Bolivian Marks Laiko Band performs.
- At 2:30 p.m. there's a karate show by Rico Dos Anos
- From 3 to 4 p.m. the Casey Girls perform.
- A 4 p.m., watch Greg Di Meceli and the Kids Drum Corps.
- At 4:30 p.m., 5 Morning Star.
- At 5 p.m., the Port Chester Senior Chorus performs.
- From 5:30 to 7 p.m., the Hey Baby Band performs.
- At 7 p.m., Sia Tofano and Company perform.
- From 7:30 to 9 p.m., cath music by Book-Ends.
And, of course, what's a big party like this without fireworks? Krakowski said Port Chester Day will be capped off by a four-minute fireworks presentation by Grucci. Funding for the fireworks was provided by of Port Chester.
If Mother Nature does not cooperate on Saturday, the rain date for Port Chester Day is Sunday.
Krakowski notes that planning for Port Chester Day begins in January with an entertainment committee that helps select acts and performers to participate in the celebration. She also noted that there was an extensive outreach effort to recruit many vendors for Port Chester Day, including many from local businesses and organizations.
In preparation for Port Chester Day, Krakowski said village DPW workers and recreation staffers have been busy at Lyon Park — cleaning up and setting up for the celebration. On Saturday, Krakowski said the celebration will also have the assistance of Port Chester Police, Port Chester Auxiliary Police, members and local EMS crews.
There is, however, one change to the event line up this year at Port Chester Day: The 14th Annual 5K Fun Run/Walk will not take place on Saturday. Instead, the race has been scheduled for Oct. 6 at 9:30 a.m. Same-day registration is available for the 5K event.
Krakowski said the 5K was moved to take advantage of better — hopefully cooler — weather for runners.