Police Chief Joseph M. Krzeminski told the Port Chester village Board of Trustees Monday night that an internal review of a controversial incident in which an unconscious man spent hours on a North Main Street sidewalk without getting help found no wrongdoing by police officers on duty that night.
Krzeminski said the investigation confirmed that Port Chester police cars went past the area several times. However, Krzeminski said a review of the incident found it was practically impossible for police officers to see the man because their view was blocked by parked cars.
The incident, caught on a , has sparked outrage in the community because of video showing the unconscious man was ignored by numerous people on the street and that he was repeatedly robbed as he was sprawled out on the sidewalk.
Police said no one called police to report the unconscious man. He was discovered on the morning of Sunday, May 20, when homeowners on North Main Street found him in their backyard – trying to open a back door. On Monday, Port Chester police revealed that a New York City woman had been arrested in connection with the robberies, and that a second person had turned himself into police.
Krzeminski said his department launched two investigations after the incident: One to find those who robbed the unconscious man, and a second to review the circumstances of the incident and how they were handled by village police officers.
Board of Trustees members said Monday that they were satisfied by the internal review.