The smell from a small amount of gasoline spilled at Port Chester's John F. Kennedy School prompted the evacuation of one of the school's buildings this afternoon.
School officials said there was no danger to students or staff and the Port Chester Fire Department checked the facility and gave the "all clear."
At about 2:15 p.m., someone at the school reported smelling gas. As a precaution, students were moved from the lower building at JFK to the upper building. Parents were notified to pick up their children at the upper school building.
The fire department "all clear" came about an hour after the smell was noticed. The smell apparently came from a small amount of gasoline that had been spilled by a member of the maintenance staff.