.

Port Chester Firefighters: Attic Fire Damages Locust Avenue Home; Safety Violations Found

Attic apartment did not have working smoke detectors; overheated electrical cord suspected as cause of fire.

An overheated electrical cord is suspected as the cause of a fire in an attic apartment in a multi-family residence on Locust Avenue, according to the .

While the fire was determined to be an accident, firefighters said there were numerous safety violations found, including the lack of working smoke detectors in the attic apartment. The problems were referred to the Port Chester Village Building Department and Code Enforcement for further investigation.

The 12:11 a.m. Sunday fire at 530 Locust Ave. was put out quickly, according to Fire Chief Kevin McFadden. The blaze damaged the attic apartment and water from the firefighting effort damaged the floors below. No one was injured.

Like us on Facebook  |  Follow us on Twitter  |  Sign up for our newsletter

Port Chester police officers evacuated the building and 35 Port Chester firefighters went to the residence, using a ladder truck, the rescue unit and four pumpers. Another company was one standby in case they were needed.

Interested Reader July 30, 2012 at 10:20 PM
When we will expand the inspections to ALL multi family homes? Those are the ones contributing to the school's overcrowding and likely to have the most significant impact on the taxes. At that point one family home, one family name in the schools or inspection.
Joe July 31, 2012 at 03:39 AM
Intterested Reader : - : Oh yes , another fine job by the PCFD and PCPD! This is a blessed Village to have angles like them to watch over us.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »