UPDATE: MTA Worker Killed by Hudson Line Train Was From Yonkers

The MTA worker killed by a Hudson Line train was a Yonkers resident, MTA officials said. 

Here is the text of their update:

MTA Metro-North Railroad has identified the employee killed by a train early this morning. James Romansoff, 58, of Yonkers, died at Mt. Sinai Hospital after he was struck by a passenger train while working near 106th Street on the Park Avenue viaduct.
Romansoff was an eight-year employee in Metro-North’s Power Department, and was part of a crew restoring power to tracks that had been closed for weekend maintenance work.

“The entire Metro-North family mourns the loss of a colleague and a friend and we offer our deepest condolences to Jim Romansoff's family,” said Metro-North President Joseph Giulietti. “Keeping our customers and employees safe is the most important job we have on the railroad. With our partners at the Federal Railroad Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board, we will re-examine our procedures and protocols to ensure we are performing our jobs with safety as the paramount concern."

Romansoff was part of a crew working near 106th Street on the Park Avenue viaduct when he was struck at 12:54 a.m. by the 12:47 a.m. train en route to Poughkeepsie. The 36 customers on that train were safely transferred to another train and resumed their trip at 2:17 a.m.
The NTSB and the FRA are investigating the incident along with Metro-North and the MTA Police Department.


A man working on the train tracks in Manhattan was struck  and killed after midnight March 10 by a Hudson Line train headed for Poughkeepsie. 

Here is the text of the MTA's statement: 

An MTA Metro-North Railroad employee was struck by a train at 12:54 a.m. this morning while working on tracks at Park Avenue and East 106th Street in Manhattan. The employee was taken to Mt. Sinai Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead. His identity is being withheld while his family is notified.
The Hudson Line train departed Grand Central Terminal at 12:47 a.m. en route to Poughkeepsie. Approximately 50 passengers on the train were safely moved to another train and resumed their trip at 2:17 a.m.
The incident is under investigation by Metro-North and the MTA Police Department.

Check back with Patch for updates. 


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »