.

Fireplace Fire Extinguished at Briarcliff Home

Fire chief helps extinguish flames; mother, children and pets all safe on South State Road.

A fireplace being used to heat a Briarcliff Manor home reportedly caused a fire Sunday evening that forced a mother, her children and their pets out of their home, police said.

Briarcliff Manor Fire Department Chief Michael King was first on the scene at the South State Road residence and helped extinguish the flames. The call came in at approximately 6:10 p.m, police said.

The home is on a street and in a neighborhood that has been without power since Hurricane Sandy struck on Monday, and the mother reportedly used the fireplace to heat the dwelling. The family is now staying at a neighbor's house. King said the family was assessed by an EMT, but no injuries were suffered during the incident.

"The woman inside had it mostly knocked down," King said. "I just helped her smother it. It looked like magazines and clothing, that kind of thing [caught fire]."

The fire department is still on the scene assessing what is described as minor damage and helping with cleanup. King said volunteers are viewing the second floor to look for any possible damage while the smoke clears.

"Right now we are just venting and helping with the cleanup a little bit," King said.

The road was temporarily blocked off by fire department vehicles at the Elm Road/Pleasantville Road intersection in the village.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »