Inspectors Working Through Long List of Violations After William St. Fire

The Jan. 10 fire was blamed on polyurethane-soaked rags left in a loft by a contractor, leading to fume build-up and spontaneous combustion.

Code inspectors are still working their way through a long list of violations at the site of a Jan. 10 fire on William Street, according to Assistant Village Manager Christopher Steers.

The fire prompted an investigation that is "requiring multiple inspections and a great deal of follow-up research," Steers wrote.

An inspector is drafting violation notices and the report could be complete by next week, he said.

The William Street fire began in a commercial loft, where a contractor had left polyurethane-soaked rags out in the open. Fumes built up from the chemical, igniting the rags and dust left on the floor after a contractor used a commercial-grade sander in the unit, according to fire Chief Kevin McFadden.

Authorities said a major fire was averted because employees working late in a ground-floor recording studio spotted smoke, and a sprinkler system kicked in to douse most of the flames ahead of a quick response by the Port Chester Fire Department.

Check back with Port Chester Patch for updates. For an index and archived stories on code enforcement efforts in Port Chester, visit the Port Chester Code Enforcement and Housing Safety topic page.

Follow Port Chester Patch!

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PortChesterPatch

Twitter: http://twitter.com/PChesterPatch


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »