Firefighters Urge Caution At Home For Those Without Power

Check CO detectors, be careful using candles.

If your home is one of the thousands in Westchester and Rockland still without power, firefighters say some basic safety steps can help prevent more problems at home.

The Firemen’s Association of the State of New York says:

  • Do not use stove burners or your oven to heat your home — this may cause a serious carbon monoxide risk.
  • Make sure your CO detectors are working with functioning batteries.
  • Be mindful of candles and keep all candles at least one foot away from any combustible materials.
  • Do not place candles anywhere near window curtains, furniture, or anything else that could easily ignite and make sure they cannot be knocked down or tipped/blown over. If possible, keep the candle inside a weighted holder or one with a wide base.
  • Never leave a lighted candle unattended – extinguish a candle before leaving the room.

The Firemen’s Association also reminds parents to be mindful of the present dangers that exist while their children are running door to door trick-or-treating this Halloween. Many residents have been urged to remain at home and stay off the streets but for those who venture out during this Halloween, urges the following precautions:

  • Be aware of any fallen or snapped tree branches.
  • Obey caution lines and do not venture into areas cordoned off by local officials.
  • Stay at least 50 feet away from downed power lines and assume that any cables or wires are energized.

Police in areas with many down trees and power lines today asked residents to limit their Halloween activities to daylight hours.




More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »