The Department of Code Enforcement will likely issue violation notices to the owners of a William Street building that caught fire early Tuesday morning.
Staffers are completing walk-through inspections of the building and conducting research on the property's records, Assistant Village Manager Christopher Steers said.
After those tasks are complete, inspectors will file a report and "appropriate notices," according to Steers.
The fire began a few minutes after midnight and was sparked by a build-up of fumes from polyurethane-soaked rags, which ignited nearby dust and debris from a commercial-grade sander, according to the Port Chester Fire Department.
On the first floor of the building, employees working late in a recording studio spotted smoke and saw water coming through the ceiling, fire Chief Kevin McFadden said. The recording studio staff called 911 before the automatic fire alarm went off, then cleared the building.
Authorities credit the recording studio staff -- and a sprinkler system in the office where the fire began -- for averting another major fire in Port Chester. McFadden said the sprinkler system worked as intended and limited the fire before firefighters arrived on-scene.
Some 20 firefighters doused the remaining flames and remained at the William Street commercial building for more than two hours after the initial call. Firefighters also handled two calls for service, both false alarms, during the time they were dealing with the William Street call.
Check back with Port Chester Patch for details from the code enforcement report.
Follow Port Chester Patch!